Reverse Engineered Object: Progress II

 


For this week's reverse engineered object, I started building the object according to my planning.The whole progress going to be in three sections: the top(the lid), the middle(the colours) and the bottom(colour mixer). 

I started with doing the top part. It was really hard at the beginning because of the smooth curve of the lid.  However, I thought about an idea using eye shadows. I scrubbed powders from eye shadows and put them on tracing paper. I opened the watercolour palette and push it down on the tracing paper as close as possible then move horizontally. In the end, I got something like this.


It shows the areas that are in the same horizontal level. Although the picture beyond is not that clear, the real object has a relatively strong difference in colours which can help me build the object. 

To start in rhino, I feel the side view will help me save more time. But only side view also doesn't have enough informations. So I made each in different views and combined them.


This really gave a idea how the object should exist in rhino, also helped me to do fix in future time. 
After creating basic wire frame, I started extruding and boolean differencing. Compare with the beginning when I had to figure out the curve shape, this is pretty easy. I can just go from the side view and deciding the area I want to trim off, extrude it in right length and boolean difference/ union. 
(you can see some of my data and thoughts according to the red side view on the right.)


After that, I decide to take a pause on the lid and move on. (I actually only left the brand label "Winsor & Newton" undone, kind of thinking I can do something different, and if I do it right now it would be hard to change it after.)
For the middle part of the object, I used the same method when I do the lid that making the top view and side view. However, the middle part is a section that is a lot harder than other sections. So I decide to start from sample and add more details on it.



(two views)



(some datas that I took)



(two views of the "block" that I started with)

Starts from here, The object has a lot of repeating sections. Most of the sections I can do copy and mirror them to the other side. However, The middle part is relatively different so I left that to do in the end, but I put the wireframe ahead of time because the extrusion can delete some of the wireframe. 



The little circle cut at the top of each square is the hardest to do. I tried different approach but for some reason it would boolean difference with other parts. I solved this problem by using network surface separately instead of making the surface as a whole. 





After that, the major part of the side is done, and I move on to the middle part. Although it is much easier to do after I got tortured by the circle cut.



(some wireframe and result)

And here is the final progress so far!




















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3D-Printed Object: Chess Set

PaperCraft: The Final

Surface Design Study: research and design