Castle: Link to Future



For the first assignment to the OBDF 210: CAD and Digital Fabrication class, we were asked to make a castle in Rhino. 

My beginning plan of the project is to make a castle that it is highly symmetrical. For me things that are symmetrical have an industrialized characteristic which also inspired me to make my castle in a future and cyber punk theme.

To start off this project, I set up five circles as the foundation of my castle. 

Just like in this rendered top view, I established most of my castle based on the five circle. The middle circle is the major building and the rest of the circles is the minor building.
When the major castle just start to build up (about half way), I realize the building starts to went away from what I planned at the beginning. Therefore, I think it is necessary to add more detail and unique decoration on it, such as the stars on the wall and the thin cylinders surround the building. Those stars later during the rendering really worth my hard work.



The stars really took me a while to get it into the perfect angle that I want. The original way that I was working through is doing a 3d cube and insert them into the building. During the way, I had a lot of turning to do and it is very easy to mess up. However, when I am wring this post right now, I realize that if I just set the location where I want the object to be and then "loft" it, it would be so much easier.
 
During my process of making the rest of the buildings based the other four circles, I really practiced “loft” tools a lot. For the bridge that extends from the side building to the ground, I was going to do a more dramatic surface than what I have right now. However, it is easily to go to the wrong way (the surface got twist in the middle or it’s not a smooth curve from top to below). Therefore, I loft the object using shape but different rotation in the end. After that I added a few cylinders in between, which kind of looks like the structure inside DNA. That added more characters to the future and technology theme. 


I like how the castle turn out in the end,  the shadow shape from the side looks symmetrical which is exactly the way I wanted. For rendering, I couldn’t do a lot of editing at this state, but to get close to my theme, I choose black as the base colour because it is a rare colour to use on building in nowadays world. I also use the gold metal effect to brighten the whole building to add characteristics. Based on today's experience, if I ever need to build a castle again, I would do more variations to achieve better explanation of the theme. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3D-Printed Object: Chess Set

PaperCraft: The Final

Surface Design Study: research and design